Should You Spend More Time Alone?
It’s easy to fall into the trap where you’re looking after everyone else’s wellbeing – except your own. You give and give. Yet, you rarely take time for yourself. Sound familiar?
At this point in time, you might feel mentally stretched. It’s like hitting a brick wall that you’re trying to force your way through; it just doesn’t work.
Usually, this means you need to take time for yourself. You need to step back from everyone else’s needs and take care of your own. And if you haven’t heard of self-care, it’s about time. You need it. In fact, we all do!
What is Self-Care?
Self-care is participating in any activity that brings you joy and helps you reset. It rejuvenates your mental, emotional, and physical health. It also contributes to better well-being, a better mood, and a higher level of fulfillment.
But… self-care is something many of us overlook. It’s something we believe we’ll get to later or find time for another day. Then, it never happens. Eventually, you end up frustrated and feeling overwhelmed.
However, solo time and activities are crucial for your overall well-being. These activities can help you manage stress and relax. They further help you avoid burnout, fatigue, and emotional outbursts. Surprisingly, self-care can even help heighten your self-awareness. It’s all about getting to know and love yourself while detaching and decompressing from the rest of the world.
So, how can you bring a little more self-care into your life?
Solo Adventures to Soothe Your Soul
First and foremost, plan it. Schedule it in – like you would any other event. This is important to ensure it actually happens.
When that time rolls around, do what makes you happy, or helps you relax. This may look very different from one person to the next.
Not sure what to do? Here are some ideas:
- Draw a warm bubble bath and relax for 20 minutes.
- Head outside on a solo hike or walk.
- Spend a few hours watching your favorite show or movie, or reading your favorite book.
- Meditate (not only is this a great self-care strategy, but it can also help you find more clarity and focus in your life!).
- Do yoga.
- Paint or draw.
- Exercise – whichever way you prefer. This may even just be dancing and blasting music in your own home.
- Write out a gratitude list. Spend 15-20 minutes creating a list of everything and anything you’re grateful for – big and small.
- Get a massage.
- Take that class you’ve always wanted to! Trying something new and stepping out of your comfort zone is also a great way to boost your mental health.
- Do a digital detox. Turn off your phone and laptop for the day. Find other ways to spend your time.
- Go out on a solo date. Take yourself out for dinner or for dessert.
Ultimately, it’s about doing what you want and what you need. Start getting to know your #1 – you! Plan out time for yourself. You’ll feel that much better for it.
Struggling to find balance in your life?
As a Health Coach, I help various individuals find balance through healthy changes and the development of healthy habits. Let’s chat! Book your initial consultation with me today.